Thursday, May 26, 2011

Turkey 3 Days: Turkey Noodle Soup

 First step:  Turkey 3 Days: First day crock pot Turkey



Start with the broth you already made.  Skim the hardened fat off the top.  The stock may be like Jell-O, which is actually a good thing, as gross as it may seem.  (Did you know gelatin comes from bones?  Now you do!)


 Chop your veggies.  I like onions, carrots, celery and a little garlic. (I chopped them fairly fine this time as a ploy to make it harder for the kids to pick them out!)  I drizzle a little olive oil in the pot I will use for the soup, and add veggies once the oil is hot.  Stir fry until the veggies just start to soften.  I go by smell.  It's ready when it starts smelling good! 

Then, dump your stock into the pot and add water.  I have a 6-quart pot, so I fill it up to about 2 inches from the top.  Once the broth is heated, I toss in some dried parsley, a few shakes of poultry seasoning or Mrs. Dash or both, a pinch of nutmeg, and salt and pepper.  If the flavor isn't quite right, I'll also add a spoonful of chicken base (I like Superior Touch's Better Than Bouillon).

Once the veggies are nearly fully cooked, turn up the heat, boil, and add noodles to cook a couple minutes less than the box tells you to (they will continue cooking in the pot).  My favorite noodles are nice fat "homemade" egg noodles or Kluski noodles; however, Second Son is allergic to eggs, so I have switched to regular pasta.  Last, turn the stove off, and add the turkey meat you boiled previously.  It is already cooked, so it just needs to get heated and will also help to cool down the soup.  

Yum!

Next up: Turkey Gravy and Spuds

No comments:

Post a Comment