Thursday, May 26, 2011

How to Make Gravy

There are probably oodles of ways to make gravy, but this is how I do it!

The formula to remember is 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup flour, 2 cups broth.





In a pot over medium heat, melt about 4 T butter.  Add 1/4 cup flour, whisk to mix thoroughly.  When it just begins to brown, add the broth.  If I don't have broth, I use water and bouillon (like Superior Touch's Better Than Bouillon). 




I like to add some garlic, parsley, and poultry seasoning or rosemary for turkey/chicken gravy.  I like garlic, pepper, and savory for beef.  Sometimes, I just like it very plain.  Use what you like!  Continue to whisk.


Heat to a boil, simmer until it thickens.  It will thicken more when removed from heat.

My family ate this before I could get a picture of the final product.  I have a brood of gravy lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment