Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Cheddar Bicuits

This is my very own recipe that I came up with after watching a Red Lobster commercial.  I don't like seafood, but those biscuits sure looked good!  I wanted to come up with something a little healthier (and tastier, in my opinion!).  I love making these on those days that I scrape together some random soup for supper.  It just makes it all so much better!
 
2 cups flour*
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp. sugar (optional)
5 T butter
1 cup sour milk*
1 cup shredded cheddar

*About the flour:  I usually use about 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup unbleached flour, 1/4 ground flax seed, and 1/4 oat bran...all combined to make 2 cups.
*There are different ways to make sour milk.  Here's my favorite:  add a splash of vinegar (probably 1-2 tsp) to your measuring cup and then top it off with milk to the called-for measurement.  Let it sit for awhile.  In this recipe, it's added last, so make the sour milk first and let it sit while you mix the rest.  I use soy milk because one of my boys is allergic to milk.

(First make sour milk, set aside.  Preheat oven to 450)
Combine 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp onion powder, and 2 tsp. sugar (optional).
With a pastry blender, cut in 5 T butter until you have some nice buttery lumps.
Add 1 cup cheddar and toss with a fork to combine.

Add the cup of sour milk.  Use fork to lightly stir, just until blended.  The secret it not to over-mix.  Dough will be very lumpy.


I use an ice-cream scoop to plop out the biscuits onto parchment paper.  You don't have to use the paper, but it just makes life easier!  I've also used non-stick aluminum foil.  My cookie sheet is supposedly non-stick, but that cheese WILL stick.

Bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.  Let them cool on the pan for a little bit to firm up before trying to remove. 

I hope you like them as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment