Tuesday, January 11, 2011

It's a New Year!

I have never appreciated "New Year's Resolutions" because I tend to shy away from anything that even resembles a broken promise.  2009 was a horrible year for us.  2010 found us the "poorest" we've ever been, with the busiest schedule we've ever had, and the most children we've ever had to wrangle.  I think I have grown more in the last two years than I have in a long time.  Though this patch has been terribly difficult, it has been so sweet.  I appreciate things like I never have before.  I am starting to feel comfortable in my own skin.  I am no longer waiting for "that thing" to come and change my life...whatever that may be.  Every day IS my life and I am doing what I (no one else) was created to do.  As simple as that sounds, it is profound to me.

There have been times that I have felt like a leaf floating down the rapids of life.  I stayed afloat by keeping above the water and not feeling its depths.  I closed off certain parts of me so I could focus on the problems at hand.  None of this is conscious, of course, and none of it is as simple as a story that can be told.  Now, to take the metaphor a little further, I feel like I have a pretty good boat.  I'm learning the correct ways use my oars.

I'm excited about 2011.  And for the first time, I actually have some resolutions....because I know that I have the power to keep them.

1 comment: