Thursday, May 3, 2012

Vegan Waffles

My son is allergic to milk and eggs, so when I got a waffle maker from our family white elephant exchange, I started working on a waffle recipe.  After a few tweaks, I came up with a recipe that I love...

3 tsp.  Ener-G Egg Replacer
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 3/4 cup soy milk (I use 8th Continent Original)
1 T sugar (I use sucanat)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

With a wire whisk, beat the egg replacer and water together until frothy.
Add oil, soy milk, and sugar.  Beat.
Add flours, baking powder, and salt.  Mix well, but not too much.  Let it sit while the waffle iron heats up.
I use a ladle to spoon the batter onto my waffle iron (sprayed with oil).  I set the timer for 4 minutes and they turn out perfectly every time.  I'm sure different waffle makers have different settings, so you may need to experiment with the time and amount of batter.  Watch for the steam to finish, that's when the waffle is finished cooking.
Makes about 6 waffles.

My non-allergic kids couldn't tell that these waffles are "different". I like to keep the extras in the fridge and I reheat them on the waffle iron for about a minute.

I added a handful of small dried blueberries to my last batch and they turned out great.  I love waffles topped with yogurt, fruit, and agave/maple syrup.  I think that's what I'll have for lunch today!

1 comment:

  1. MMM!!! Sounds great! Have you seen the cookbook "Vegan With a Vengeance"? She also has a cookbook called "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World". :) I have the first book and all of her recipes are awesome!!! I just checked and I think there are 4 waffle recipes, lots of pancake recipes (I've tried 2 and they were super awesome), and her scones and muffins are to die for!!

    ReplyDelete